Set up Google Analytics on Your Website
Not sure how many people visit your site? Do you want to know if the amount of people visiting your bulletins page is worth the time it took to make those updates? Is anyone listening to your sermons online?
Google Analytics is a powerful tool that helps you answer those questions and many more. Google Analytics lets you measure the number of unique visitors to your site, track the most popular pages, see how long your visitors stay on each page and so much more. The information you gain from Google Analytics will help you decide what changes need to be made to your site in order to help your site become a more effective tool for your ministry.
Setting up Google Analytics in ChurchSpring is incredibly simple.
Follow these easy steps to get Google Analytics up and running on your ChurchSpring site in a matter of minutes:
- Sign in to your Analytics account.
- Click Admin.
- Select an account from the menu in the ACCOUNT column.
- Select a property from the menu in the PROPERTY column.
- Under PROPERTY, click Tracking Info > Tracking Code. Your tracking ID is displayed at the top of the page.
Your tracking code should look something like this:
<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=UA-XXXXXXXXX-1"></script>
window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || ;
gtag('js', new Date());
- Next, login to your ChurchSpring website and click on the settings link at the top right of the page
- Go to the Website tab
- Click on Analytics
- Paste your Google Analytics tracking code in the box on that screen
- Click the "Save Information" button and your Done!
You should begin seeing data inside your Google Analytics account within 24 hours. Don't forget that we're here to help! If you have any questions or run into any issues, just submit a support ticket under the settings area and we will jump in and help you out.
FAQS & TROUBLESHOOTING
- Why am I seeing a vertical bar on the right side of my home page that contains digits at the top? This is a sign that you did not enter the correct Google Analytics code into your Settings. Remove the incorrect code and the unwanted bar will disappear from your home page. Take a look at our ChurchSpring Live Episode 019 (around the 28 minute mark) to see where to located the correct Google Analytics code for your website.
- My Google Analytics page does not reflect the steps given above. Where do I look next to find the tracking code? Our team is aware that some Analytics pages look different than what we have in this article. To find your website tracking code, follow these steps...
- Click on "Admin" at the bottom of your Analytics home page.
- In the open Admin console you should see a section called "Property." Under Property, click on "Data Streams."
- Within the Data Streams area, you should see your website listed. Click on the arrow at the far right of the website listing bar.
- Once you are in Data Streams (Web Stream Details), scroll down to the section that says "Global Site Tag" - it can be identified by the blue tag icon. Click Global Site Tag.
- Your tracking code is the entire box that opens within the Global Site Tag area. You can click the copy icon from the right side of the screen, or you can highlight it and copy it to paste into your ChurchSpring website.
- How to set up Google Analytics for your church website - start at time marker 00:16:00 (check out the full show notes at churchspring.com/csl019)
- Top ways to effectively use Google Analytics (check out full show notes at churchspring.com/csl020)